Creamy lemon green beans
Green beans, meet lemon and cream. Ahh, we knew this combo would be perfect together. Pair this workhouse of an almost-keto side with all of your meat and fish faves!
- 10 oz. 280 g fresh green beans
- 3 oz. 85 g butter or olive oil
- ½ tsp ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup 240 ml heavy whipping cream
- ½ ½ lemon, the zestlemons, the zest
- ½ cup (¼ oz.) 120 ml (8 g) fresh parsley (optional)
This recipe has been added to the shopping list.
Making low carb simple
- Trim and rinse the green beans.
- Heat butter or oil in a frying pan.
- Sauté the beans for 3-4 minutes over medium-high heat until they begin to brown. Lower the heat towards the end. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add heavy cream and let simmer for 1-2 minutes. Grate the lemon zest finely and sprinkle on top of the green beans before serving. (Or, you can use a knife to cut very thin strips of zest—yellow part only—and add to the dish.)
- Add finely chopped parsley before serving.
This dish is great with fresh, thin green beans, but you can also use frozen. Just make sure they are properly thawed, or the frying pan will cool down and they will taste more boiled than fried. You can also use yellow beans. Or wax beans. Delicious!
This recipe is definitely keto in my books however do note that green beans are a bit sweeter than zucchini.
The still liquid heavy cream/heavy whipping cream.
If you find that it's not enough lemon flavor for your tastes, you can always squeeze from fresh lemon juice from the lemon you just zested.
Also, cooking for three or four minutes left the (thin) beans virtually raw. Is this what was intended? I usually love your recipes but a couple of the ‘sides’ (eg butter-roasted cauliflower) have been so undercooked I doubled the cooking time.
The yellow comes from the lemon zest.
In order for a recipe or meal to get the green keto circle, it needs to be very low carb, moderate protein and high fat. This recipe has very little protein, so it's not keto on its own. Add a steak or pork chop and you'll have a well rounded keto meal.
I'm glad you enjoyed this recipe! Thank you for taking the time to let us know.
So sorry it didn't work well for you, Reeny! A lower heat should work better if you decide to try again.