Low carb and keto on a budget
Remember that you should eat roughly equal amounts of protein (meat, poultry, fish, seafood, eggs, dairy etc.) as you did before. The main change should be to lower your intake of carbohydrates and, in order to stay satiated, increase your intake of fat. If you’re wondering how to do that, please see our guide on how to eat more fat.
Eating more fat keeps you satiated for longer which means you can go longer between meals. Not having to snack constantly to keep hunger at bay is a saving tip all on its own.
This matters, as some protein tends to be relatively expensive compared to other food. Don’t buy more meat than before, especially not if you’re on a budget. You don’t need it. Use the tips below instead.
- Keep it simple. A meal doesn’t have to consist of many different elements. The fewer ingredients you need, the less money you’ll spend on buying them, right? Our keto cheese omelet is a great example of that. If you have water with that meal, it’ll cost about $3.50 or just under 3€. Compare that to a Big Mac that costs around $5 (4.2€).
- Use fresh vegetables when they are in season, buy frozen the rest of the year (low-carb vegetables guide).
- It’s usually a better deal to buy a whole chicken and to cut it into pieces yourself. Don’t throw away the carcass. You can use it to make chicken broth.
- Look for deals at your grocery store and stock up on things you tend to use a lot of.
- Learn more about this in our guide on how to make low carb and keto cheaper.
Below, we have listed delicious recipes that will fill you up without emptying your wallet.
What are your best ideas when it comes to living low carb or keto on a budget? Please let us and your fellow readers know in the comments below. Thanks to everyone sharing their great ideas!
Cheap low-carb breakfasts
Cheap low-carb meals
Cheap low-carb sides
Budget meal plans
For more keto information, beyond recipes, check out our guides:
What are your best ideas when it comes to living low carb on a budget? Please let us and your fellow low carbers know in the comments below.