Low-carb chocolate and peanut squares
- 3½ oz. 100 g dark chocolate with a minimum of 80% cocoa solids
- ¼ cup 60 ml butter or coconut oil
- 1 pinch 1 pinch salt
- ¼ cup 60 ml peanut butter
- ½ tsp ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp 1 tsp licorice powder or ground cinnamon or ground cardamom (green)
- 1½ oz. 45 g salted peanuts, finely chopped or hazelnuts
- Melt chocolate and butter or coconut oil in the microwave oven or in a double boiler. If you don't have a double boiler you can put a glass bowl on top of a pot of steaming water. Make sure that the water doesn't reach the bowl. The chocolate will melt from the heat of the steam. Set the melted chocolate aside to cool for a few minutes before proceeding with the next step.
- Add all remaining ingredients except the nuts and blend until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into a small greased baking dish lined with parchment paper, no bigger than 4 x 6" (10 x 15 cm).
- Top with finely chopped peanuts. Place in the refrigerator to chill.
- When the batter is set, cut into small squares with a sharp knife. Remember, keep these and all treats small — no more than a 1x1 inch square. Store in the refrigerator or freezer.
Almond or hazelnut butter work, too. And try different toppings: toasted (and coarsely chopped) almonds or hazelnuts, roasted sesame seeds with unsweetened coconut flakes, or even tahini. Mmmmm…