Chicken souvlaki with yogurt dip
- 1 tsp 1 tsp coriander, ground
- 1 tsp 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 1 large garlic clove, mincedlarge garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp 2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1¾ lbs 800 g chicken breast, cut into cubeschicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1 (4 oz.) 1 (110 g) red onion, cut into wedgesred onions, cut into wedges
- 1 (4 oz.) 1 (120 g) red bell pepper, cut into squaresred bell peppers, cut into squares
- ¼ (1 oz.) ¼ (28 g) red onion, finely choppedred onions, finely chopped
- 3 oz. (72⁄3 tbsp) 85 g (110 ml) tomato, deseeded and finely choppedtomatoes, deseeded and finely chopped
- 3 oz. 85 g cucumber, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup (61⁄3 oz.) 240 ml (180 g) Greek yogurt (4% fat)
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp fresh mint or fresh parsley or fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1 1 garlic clove, mincedgarlic cloves, minced (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Thorougly mix all the marinade ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the chicken, onion, and red peppers to the bowl and mix to coat well. Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes or overnight.
- Meanwhile, prepare the yogurt dip by mixing all the dip ingredients. Season to taste and set aside in the fridge.
- Preheat the grill/barbecue (or oven) with the lid down until the temperature reaches 350°F (180°C).
- Thread the marinated chicken and vegetables alternately onto your skewers. Grill for five to seven minutes until they are just browned. Turn over and grill for another 5-7 minutes. If you are using the oven bake for 20 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 175°F (80°C).
- Serve the skewers as soon as they are cooked with the yogurt dip and lemon wedges.
The yogurt dip will keep covered in the fridge for up to two days.
Feel free to substitute the dip with aioli or tzatziki.
This dish is delicious with a traditional greek salad.
Diet Doctor's recipe team has slightly adjusted this recipe to follow our guidelines. You’ll find the original recipe in Katie's cookbook, "The Low Carb Weight‑Loss Cookbook".