Grilled eggplant and bell peppers are often on the menu during my winter stays in Turkey, where vegetables are typically cooked on a coal grill in the garden in the evening. The aromas wafting around the neighborhood are divine!
- 2 2 eggplant
- 2 2 green bell peppergreen bell peppers
- 1 1 red chili pepperred chili peppers
- ½ cup 125 ml mayonnaise
- ½ cup 125 ml fresh parsley
- 2 2 garlic clovegarlic cloves
- 1 1 lemon, the juice
- 1 teaspoon 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 480ºF (250ºC).
- Cut the eggplants and bell peppers in half length-wise, and seed the bell peppers.
- Place the vegetables peel-side up in an ovenproof dish.
- Set the dish in the middle of the oven, and bake for half an hour, turning the eggplants after twenty minutes.
- Remove the dish from the oven and let the vegetables cool down a little.
- Cut the chili in half and seed it. Use rubber gloves to complete this task, and do not touch your face!
- For a spicier eggplant salad, leave the seeds in.
- Chop the chili very finely.
- Chop the parsley and crush the garlic.
- In a bowl, mix it all with the lemon juice.
- Pull the skins off the grilled vegetables and cut them into small dices; add to the parsley mix and the mayonnaise.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Chill for a few hours to give the flavors time to develop.