Grilled eggplant and bell peppers are often on the menu during my winter stays in Turkey, where vegetables are typically cooked on a coal grill in the garden in the evening. The aromas wafting around the neighborhood are divine!
- 2 lbs 900 g eggplant
- 2 (10 oz.) 2 (280 g) green bell peppergreen bell peppers
- 1 1 red chili pepperred chili peppers
- ½ cup 120 ml mayonnaise or vegan mayonnaise
- 1 oz. (1¾ cups) 28 g (425 ml) fresh parsley
- 2 2 garlic clovegarlic cloves
- 1 1 lemon, the juicelemons, the juice
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
This recipe has been added to the shopping list.
Making low carb simple
- Preheat the oven to 480ºF (250ºC).
- Cut the eggplants and bell peppers in half length-wise, and deseed the bell peppers.
- Place the vegetables peel-side up in an ovenproof dish.
- Set the dish in the middle of the oven, and bake for 30 minutes, turning the eggplants after 20 minutes.
- Remove the dish from the oven and let the vegetables cool down a little.
- Cut the chili in half and deseed it. Use rubber gloves to complete this task, and do not touch your face! For a spicier eggplant salad, leave the seeds in.
- Chop the chili very finely.
- Chop the parsley and crush the garlic.
- In a bowl, mix it all with the lemon juice.
- Pull the skins off the grilled vegetables and dice them. Add to the parsley mix and add the mayonnaise.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Chill for a few hours to give the flavors time to develop.
About the Recipe
LCHF is not just about eating meat or butter. Here's another great LCHF recipe from Swedish chef Birgitta Höglund. She also runs a popular low-carb/Paleo recipe blog with more delicious recipes.
Any red chili pepper will work. Availability of different cultivars can vary by location so we tried not to specify something that may not be available to a lot of people. If you can't find any fresh red chili pictures (they are in the recipe picture for reference) then yes, you could substitute with a hot green pepper like jalapeno.
DD: Please add the approximate weight of "one eggplant". Are you using the large, globe eggplants or smaller Italian or Asian type. Important difference.