- 2¼ lbs 1 kg (2 medium, globe eggplants)
- 2 cups (8 oz.) 475 ml (230 g) almond flour
- 1 tsp 1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tsp 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 2 large egglarge eggs
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted, at room temperature
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Set aside baking sheet(s), lined with parchment paper.
- Cut off the stems and peel the eggplants using a vegetable peeler or sharp knife. Cut into 3" x 1/2" (8 x 1.2 cm) French-fry pieces. Set aside.
- In a shallow bowl, stir together the almond flour, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper. Place the eggs and coconut oil in a small bowl, and whisk together until blended.
- With one hand, dip several eggplant pieces in the egg mixture, and coat on all sides. Let excess egg drip off, and then use the other hand to lightly coat each piece in the flour mixture. Transfer to the baking sheet(s) and repeat until done. (see Tip)
- Place on the middle oven rack and bake for 7 - 8 minutes, turn fries over, and bake for another 7 - 8 minutes, until crispy and golden brown.
Occasionally rinse hands and pat dry, for ease with dipping and coating.
These fries freeze well! Make a huge (quadruple?) batch and pop the extras into a couple of Ziplock bags, post-coating but BEFORE you bake them. A perfect, oven-ready side to pair with almost any meal on a future busy night.