Tomato basil parmesan soup
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp unsalted butter or coconut oil
- ½ cup 125 ml red onion, finely dicedred onions, finely diced
- 2 2 garlic clove, mincedgarlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tsp 1 tsp dried oregano
- 8 oz. 225 g cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups 1 liter chicken broth
- 2 2 (14-ounce) canned whole tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup 225 ml grated parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- fresh basil, for garnish
- Place the butter in a 6-quart Instant Pot and press Sauté. Once melted, add the onions, garlic, basil, and oregano and cook for 4 minutes or until the onions are soft. Press Cancel to stop the Sauté.
- Add the cream cheese and use a whisk to loosen or you will get clumps. Slowly whisk in the broth. Add the tomatoes, parmesan, salt, and pepper.
- Seal the lid, press Pressure Cook or Manual, and set the timer for 8 minutes. Once finished, turn the valve to venting for a quick release.
- Remove the lid and puree the soup with a stick blender; or transfer the soup to a regular blender or food processor and process until pureed.
- Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with more parmesan and basil leaves.
Slow cooker method
Skip the butter or coconut oil. Place the cream cheese in a 6-quart slow cooker. Use a whisk to stir the cream cheese. Slowly whisk in the broth. Add the onions, garlic, basil, oregano, tomatoes, parmesan, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours or on low for 4 hours. Proceed to Step 4.
Store and reheat
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to a month.
To reheat, place in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until heated through.