Broccoli cheddar soup
- 1 lb (5 cups) 450 g (1.2 liters) broccoli
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 oz. 55 g butter
- 1 (4 oz.) 1 (110 g) red onion, roughly choppedred onions, roughly chopped
- 3 3 garlic clove, choppedgarlic cloves, chopped
- ½ tsp ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp ½ tsp paprika powder
- 1 pinch 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 cups 475 ml chicken broth or water
- 1 cup 240 ml
- 1 cup (4 oz.) 240 ml (110 g) cheddar cheese, shredded
- Clean and cut the broccoli and separate the florets from the stalk. Roughly chop the stalks and cut the florets into small pieces.
- Heat the olive oil with one-third of the butter in a pot or a saucepan. When melted, add the roughly chopped onion and the broccoli stalks. Fry on medium heat until they start to brown. Add garlic cloves and keep frying until lightly browned.
- Season with salt, pepper, paprika and cayenne pepper. Combine well and cook for another minute.
- Add broth and stir well. Cover and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the cooked vegetables and broth into a food processor and pulse until the ingredients are smooth and creamy soup.
- In the same pot heat the rest of the butter and fry the broccoli florets. Stir the broccoli only occasionally to get a lovely roasted flavor.
- Pour the blended soup mixture through a sieve into the pot. For a chunkier soup you can skip the sieve. Combine well and add more salt and pepper if needed. If the soup seems to be too thick, add some water or broth.
- Allow the mixture to simmer for a few minutes.
- Add cream and cheese and mix well. Cook until the cheese has melted.
- Serve hot and garnish with some shredded cheddar cheese.