Broccoli cheddar soup
- 20 oz. 500 g broccoli
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp butter
- 1 1 red onion, roughly choppedred onions, roughly chopped
- 3 3 garlic clove, choppedgarlic cloves, chopped
- ½ tsp ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp ½ tsp paprika powder
- 1 pinch 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 cups 500 ml chicken broth or water
- 2⁄3 cup 150 ml heavy whipping cream
- 3½ oz. 100 g cheddar cheese
- Clean and cut the broccoli and separate the florets from the stalk. Roughly chop the stalks and cut the florets into small pieces.
- Heat the olive oil with one-third of the butter in a pot or a saucepan. When melted, add the roughly chopped onion and the broccoli stalks. Fry on medium heat until they start to brown. Add garlic cloves and keep frying until it gets some color.
- Season with salt, pepper, paprika and cayenne pepper. Combine well and cook for another minute.
- Add broth and stir well. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the cooked vegetables into a food processor and pulse. Slowly add the broth and keep mixing until you get a smooth and creamy soup.
- In the same pot heat the rest of the butter and fry the broccoli florets. It's best not to move the broccoli around much to get a lovely roasted flavor.
- Pour the blended soup mixture through a sieve into the pot. For a chunkier soup you can skip the sieve. Combine well and add more salt and pepper if needed. If the soup seems to be too thick, you can add some water.
- Allow the mixture to come to a boil and then simmer for a few minutes.
- Add cream and cheese and mix well. Cook until the cheese has melted.
- Serve hot and garnish with some shredded cheddar cheese.