Gingerbread crème brûlée
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Set aside one, 4 oz. oven-proof ramekin per serving, and a large baking dish with sides.
- Crack the eggs and separate yokes and the whites. Put the yolks in a medium-sized bowl for this recipe. You can store the egg whites in a small container in the refrigerator for another recipe if you wish.
- Add the heavy cream, pumpkin pie spice, sweetener, and vanilla extract to a small saucepan. Whisk together while bringing to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, remove it from the burner.
- Gradually add small amounts of the warm cream mixture into the egg yolks, whisking together until completely combined.
- Place the ramekins in the large baking dish and fill 3/4 of each ramekin with the cream mixture. Add water to the baking dish until it's about halfway up the sides of the ramekins. The water helps the cream mixture cook gently and evenly, for a creamy and smooth result.
- Bake on the middle rack for 25-30 minutes, or until the custard is set around the edges, and slightly jiggly in the center. Remove the ramekins from the baking dish and let cool.
- You can enjoy this dessert either lukewarm or cold, preferably sprinkled with some pumpkin pie spice and a clementine segment on top.