Creamy custard. Dreamy gingerbread. Put the two together, and you have a keto dessert that brings a well-spiced finish to your evening. So indulgent, yet amazingly on-plan.
- 1¾ cups 425 ml heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 4 egg yolkegg yolks
- ½ ½ clementine (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 360°F (180°C).
- Separate the eggs by cracking them and placing whites and yolks in separate bowls. This recipe only calls for yolks, so cover the egg white bowl with plastic wrap and store in the fridge for another recipe.
- Add cream to a saucepan and bring to a boil along with the spices and vanilla extract.
- Add the warm cream mixture into the egg yolks, a little at a time, while whisking.
- Pour into oven-proof ramekins or small pyrex bowls nestled in a larger baking dish with sides. Add water to the larger dish until it's about halfway up the ramekins. The water makes the cream cook gently and evenly for a creamy and smooth result.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes. Remove the ramekins from the baking dish and let cool.
- You can enjoy this dessert either lukewarm or cold, preferably with a clementine segment on top.
In this recipe we’ve used pumpkin pie spice. If you can’t find it, you can make your own by using this recipe or by mixing equal amounts of ginger, cinnamon and ground cloves.