Broccoli and cheese
- 1 lb (5 cups) 450 g (1.2 liters) broccoli
- 3½ oz. 100 g butter
- salt and pepper
- 1¼ oz. (5 tbsp) 35 g (75 ml) shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Or, even better, set your broiler on high.
- Divide the broccoli into florets and boil in lightly salted water for a few minutes. Make sure the broccoli retains it's chewy texture and fresh green color.
- Drain off all of the liquid and place cooked broccoli in a well-greased baking dish. Add butter and seasoning.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of the broccoli and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the cheese begins to brown. If you are using your broiler, this step can go more quickly. Keep a steady eye on the dish and remove when the cheese starts to brown.
Frozen veggies are so convenient; they are always on hand in the freezer. For this dish, just thaw and remove any excess fluid before you add the other ingredients and pop in the oven. Don't forget—broccoli is a perfect accompaniment for grilled or broiled fish. And it is tasty with any protein source, be it fish, meat, eggs or cheese!
Hi, Karen! Maybe a smaller dish or even try adding a bit more cheese.