Want an exotic blend of spices without too much kick? Curry doesn't have to be hot and spicy. This flavorful blend adds flair and complexity to veggies, meat, poultry and fish. Mmmm, without the hot-hot-hot.
- 2 tablespoons 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons 2 tablespoons coriander seed, ground
- 2 tablespoons 2 tablespoons turmeric
- ½ tablespoon ½ tablespoon chili flakes
- ½ tablespoon ½ tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
- ½ tablespoon ½ tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon 1 tablespoon sea salt (optional)
- Mix together all the spices thoroughly and pour into a jar with a tight-fitting lid.
- If you use whole seeds, grind in a grinder either in advance or just before cooking.
- Keep the spices in a dark, dry, cool place. Small tin cans are great.
- Make a batch big enough to last for about 4–6 months; after that, the spices will lose some flavor and color. They won't spoil, though—they'll just be less powerful.
If you want to take up the heat, just add more chili.