- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp cloves
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp star anise
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp Szechuan pepper
- Thoroughly mix together all the spices. Pour into a jar with a tight-fitting lid.
- If you use whole seeds, grind in a grinder either in advance or when cooking.
- Keep the spice blend in a dark, dry and cool/room temperature place. Small tin cans are great for keeping the light out.
- Make a batch big enough to last for 4–6 months; after that, the spices will lose some flavor and color. They won't spoil, but will just be less powerful.
If you can't find Szechuan pepper in your grocery store, you can substitute chili flakes mixed with lemon pepper or cardamom. Use equal parts of each.