Just like grandma used to make... only better! We took the cream out of the creamy custard, but it is still... wait for it... creamy. And keto. Wait 'til you taste it!
- 6 6 egg yolkegg yolks
- ½ cup 125 ml unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon 1 teaspoon erythritol (optional)
- 4 tablespoons 60 ml melted coconut oil or unsalted butter
- Whisk together egg yolks, almond milk, vanilla and optional sweetener in medium metal bowl.
- Slowly mix in the melted coconut oil or butter. Be sure the oil isn't too hot, or the eggs may cook unevenly.
- Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Whisk the mixture constantly and vigorously until thickened. Your instant-read thermometer should register 140°F for 3 full minutes. Usually, this means about 5 minutes of total cooking time. (When ready, it should coat the back of a spoon.)
- Remove the custard from the water bath. Serve either warm or chilled. (If serving chilled, it can be prepared 1-3 days ahead and refrigerated. Re-whisk before serving.)