Keto and dairy-free vanilla custard
- 6 6 egg yolkegg yolks
- ½ cup 125 ml unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp 1 tsp (5 g) erythritol (optional)
- ¼ cup 60 ml melted coconut oil or unsalted butter
- Whisk together egg yolks, almond milk, vanilla and optional sweetener in medium metal bowl.
- Slowly mix in the melted coconut oil or butter. Be sure the oil isn't too hot, or the eggs may cook unevenly.
- Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Whisk the mixture constantly and vigorously until thickened. Your instant-read thermometer should register 140°F for 3 full minutes. Usually, this means about 5 minutes of total cooking time. (When ready, it should coat the back of a spoon.)
- Remove the custard from the water bath. Serve either warm or chilled. (If serving chilled, it can be prepared 1-3 days ahead and refrigerated. Re-whisk before serving.)