Keto bread twists
- ½ cup 125 ml (60 g) almond flour
- ¼ cup 60 ml (30 g)
- ½ tsp ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp 1 tsp (5 g) baking powder
- 1 1 egg, beateneggs, beaten
- 2 oz. 50 g butter
- 6½ oz. 175 g shredded cheese, preferably mozzarella
- ¼ cup 60 ml green pesto
- 1 1 egg, beaten, for brushing the topeggs, beaten, for brushing the top
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the egg and combine.
- Melt the butter and the cheese together in a pot on low heat. Stir until the batter is smooth.
- Slowly add the butter-cheese batter to the dry mixture bowl and mix together into a firm dough.
- Place the dough on parchment paper at is the size of a rectangular cookie sheet. Use a rolling pin and make a rectangle, about 1/5-inch (5 mm) thick.
- Spread pesto on top and cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) strips. Twist them and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush twists with the whisked egg.
- Bake in the oven for 15–20 minutes until they’re golden brown.
If your dough seems to be sticky, place between two sheets of parchment paper before using the rolling pin. Once you've rolled it out, remove the upper piece of parchment paper.
If you are having trouble twisting, or want a different look from the twist, use a cookie cutter to cut out two similar shapes and spread the pesto in between, like a sandwich or cookie filling. Place on the parchment and bake.
Out of pesto? No problem. Sub in any of your favorite spices. Paprika powder, chili, curry, cumin or herbs like thyme, oregano and basil all work well. Or have a melted cheese filling by layering a bit of shredded cheese instead of pesto.
For a little extra variety, try substituting a little parmesan for some of the mozzarella.