- 10 10 small fresh artichoke, preferably youngsmall fresh artichokes, preferably young
- ¼ cup 60 ml olive oil (use half for cooking, the other half for baking)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp 1 tsp sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Place the artichokes on a sturdy work surface. Take the artichoke stem in one hand and cut off the top half of the artichoke.
- If it’s there, scrape out the hairy choke at the center of the leaves with a small spoon.
- Turn the artichoke around and cut the stem off. Remove the hard leaves at the bottom until only soft leaves remain.
- Place the artichokes in a pot and add enough water to cover. Add a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until a leaf can be easily pulled out.
- Drain the artichokes and place them upright in a baking dish.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until the bottoms of the artichokes are fork-tender, then serve.
The artichoke is a delicious, beautiful vegetable; it is actually a big flower bud of the thistle family. If you allow artichokes to grow, they will produce gorgeous flowers. The choke turns into pretty purple strings. Young artichokes usually don’t have a choke yet, which makes them easier to handle.