Low-carb chocolate cake with Easter eggs
- 9 oz. 250 g dark chocolate with a minimum of 80% cocoa solids
- 5 tbsp 5 tbsp (50 g) granulated erythritol
- 9 oz. 250 g unsalted butter
- 5 5 egg, yolks and whites separatedeggs, yolks and whites separated
- 1 pinch 1 pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 350° F / 175° C. Grease a cake pan with plenty of butter.
- Melt the chocolate and the butter in a bain-marie or a double boiler.
- Add the egg whites and a pinch of salt to a mixing bowl. Using a standing or hand mixer, whisk the egg whites until peaks form.
- In another mixing bowl, gently beat the egg yolks. Add the butter, sweetener and chocolate, and mix together until combined.
- Gently and gradually, fold the beaten egg whites into the mixture using a rubber spatula.
- Spoon the mixture into the greased cake pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. The cooking time will depend on the size of the cake pan you are using. A 6 cup Bundt pan will yield a taller cake, but will need to bake longer. This recipe was tested with a 12 cup Bundt pan. Let rest for 15 minutes before serving.
Mini Easter eggsWhile the cake is in the oven, prepare the chocolate eggs.
- Melt the butter and place it in a small bowl.
- Add the ground walnuts, cocoa powder and sweetener to the bowl. Mix the ingredients to form a dough, and then place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes, or until it is firm.
- Place the shredded coconut into a small bowl. Using the palm of your hand, shape the mixture into the shape of 12 small eggs, and then roll the eggs in the coconut to coat.
To make your own colored desiccated coconut, put the coconut on a plate and add a few drops of food coloring. Mix with a fork and leave to dry completely before decorating the chocolate eggs.