Keto parmesan croutons
- 4 oz. 110 g butter
- 3 oz. 75 g parmesan cheese, grated
- 1¼ cups 300 ml (150 g) almond flour
- 5 tbsp 5 tbsp (50 g) ground psyllium husk powder
- 2 tsp 2 tsp (10 g) baking powder
- 1 tsp 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp 2 tsp white wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1¼ cups 300 ml boiling water
- 3 3 egg whiteegg whites
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Bring the water to a boil. Add boiling water, vinegar and egg whites to the dry ingredients while beating with a hand mixer for about 30 seconds. Don't overmix the dough; the consistency should resemble Play-Doh.
- Form into 8 flat pieces of dough with moist hands. Remember that you need to allow a lot of room between the pieces as they will swell up to double their size as they are baked.
- Bake on lower rack of oven for about 40 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes. Split the bread pieces lengthwise and place both halves face up on a sheet pan.
- Stir together the butter and parmesan cheese and spread on the halved bread. Raise the oven temperature to 450°F (220°C), or better yet, switch oven to a high broil. Pop bread pieces back in the oven for 5 minutes or until they have turned golden brown. Watch continuously to avoid burning the topping.
- Enjoy whole as a snack, or split into smaller pieces, like in the picture above. Great with your favorite salad!
This bread freezes well for future snacks or soup and salad toppings!