Craving the crunch? You don’t need to skip the croutons any longer. Perfectly crisp and tasty, these parmesan croutons top soup or salad with legit crunch… or munch on them straight-up for a tasty keto snack!
- 3 oz. 90 g butter
- 2 oz. 60 g grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Bring the water to a boil. Add boiling water, vinegar and egg whites to the dry ingredients while beating with a hand mixer for about 30 seconds. Don't overmix the dough; the consistency should resemble Play-Doh.
- Form into 8 flat pieces of dough with moist hands. Remember that you need to allow a lot of room between the pieces as they will swell up to double their size as they are baked.
- Bake on lower rack of oven for about 40 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes. Split the bread pieces lengthwise and place both halves face up on a sheet pan.
- Stir together the butter and parmesan cheese and spread on the halved bread. Raise the oven temperature to 450°F (220°C), or better yet, switch oven to a high broil. Pop bread pieces back in the oven for 5 minutes or until they have turned golden brown. Watch continuously to avoid burning the topping.
- Enjoy whole as a snack, or split into smaller pieces, like in the picture above. Great with your favorite salad!
This bread freezes well for future snacks or soup and salad toppings!