- ½ cup (21⁄3 oz.) 120 ml (65 g) pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup (2½ oz.) 120 ml (70 g) almonds
- 8 oz. (3¼ cups) 230 g (800 ml) mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup 120 ml , divided
- ¾ cup (2¾ oz.) 180 ml (80 g) vegan pea protein powder (unflavored)
- ¼ cup 60 ml water
- ¼ cup (12⁄3 oz.) 60 ml (50 g) chia seeds
- 2 2 garlic clove, mincedgarlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp 1 tsp ground coriander seed
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Heat a large dry frying pan over medium heat, and roast the almonds and pumpkin seeds until lightly browned and fragrant. Put them in a food processor and pulse for a couple of minutes.
- Fry the mushrooms in a large frying pan in ⅓ of the olive oil until soft. Add the mushrooms and the remaining oil to the mixture in the food processor together with the rest of the ingredients. Mix for a couple of minutes. Let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Shape the mixture into 1-1/2 inch (4 cm) balls. Place the balls on a baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until crispy. Serve warm, together with the side dish of your choice.
Can I freeze the keto falafels?
Yes, they freeze well! Make a double batch and put the leftovers in the freezer for another day.
Spice it up!
Replace the seasoning in the recipe with one of the suggestions below. The measurements are based on 4 servings.
Italian: 1 pressed garlic clove, 0.5 cup of chopped fresh basil, and 2 tbsp sugar-free tomato paste.
Greek: 1 pressed garlic clove, 1 tbsp oregano, and 0.5 cup olives, finely chopped.
Mexican: 1 tbsp Tex-Mex seasoning , 2 tsp onion powder, and 0.5 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped.
Is protein powder really healthy?
Although we generally recommend choosing non-processed foods, vegans on a low-carb diet may find it very challenging to meet their daily protein needs through whole foods alone. Including plant-based protein powders can help bridge the protein gap while adding very few carbs.
A few organic, less-processed options are Garden of Life Organic Protein Powder, Foods Alive Organic Pea Protein Powder, and Jarrow Formulas Organic Pumpkin Seed Vegan Protein Powder.