- 2 2 yellow onion, finely choppedyellow onions, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons 3 tablespoons butter, for frying
- 3 lbs 1.4 kg cauliflower
- 1½ cups 360 ml heavy whipping cream
- 2⁄3 lb 300 g shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 61⁄3 oz. 180 g butter
- Fry chopped onions in a generous amount of butter, until soft and golden. Set aside.
- Shred the cauliflower with the coarse side of a grater, or divide into smaller florets and chop in a food processor until rice-sized. Process a few florets at a time.
- Pour heavy whipping cream in a pan. Stir in the cauliflower rice and boil on medium heat. Let simmer for 10–15 minutes or more, until the cauliflower is thoroughly cooked and the cream has reduced. This will give the mash a more neutral flavor.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Add fried onion and shredded cheese. Mix well and keep warm.
- Melt butter on medium heat in a skillet until amber-colored for a nice nutty taste. Serve the butter with the mash.
You don’t have to remove all of the leafy parts—use the entire cauliflower head for making mash! Just be sure to take off the outside leaves. You can also use ready-made cauliflower rice from the grocery store, fresh or frozen. Two pounds will be enough.