Soft keto tortillas
- 1 cup 225 ml (125 g)
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp (1.1 g) baking soda
- ½ tsp ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup 60 ml (30 g) ground psyllium husk powder
- ½ cup 125 ml avocado oil or olive oil
- 3 3 large egg whitelarge egg whites
- 1½ cups 350 ml hot water
- Heat a large cast iron skillet or griddle medium heat.
- In a large bowl, sift together the coconut flour, baking soda and salt. Whisk in the psyllium husk.
- Drizzle in the oil slowly as you stir the mix, it will become moist and crumbly. Fold in the egg whites.
- Mix in the hot water half cup at a time, making sure it’s completely mixed in before adding more water. Combine until the dough looks and feels like moist play-doh.
- Shape 12 even-sized balls. Flatten the balls between parchment paper on a tortilla press or use a 6” pot and press them down.
- Cook 2 tortillas at a time on the large griddle by lying flat on the hot, dry cast iron and toasting 3 minutes a side, flipping once. Set aside until all the tortillas are done.
If your mix is too wet add in 1 teaspoon of psyllium husk at a time, waiting a minute before mixing in the next one to make sure it is absorbing the liquid. Alternatively, if your mix is too dry, add 1 teaspoon of water in at a time in the same fashion until the ideal texture is achieved, moist play-doh.
Store the leftover tortillas by wrapping up flat and air tight and freezing.
To thaw toast on hot cast iron again.