Keto smoked salmon sandwich on spiced pumpkin bread
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp ground psyllium husk powder
- ½ cup (3 oz.) 120 ml (85 g) flaxseed
- 1¼ cups (5 oz.) 300 ml (140 g) almond flour
- ¼ cup (¾ oz.) 60 ml (25 g)
- 1⁄3 cup (1¼ oz.) 80 ml (35 g) chopped walnuts
- 1⁄3 cup (1½ oz.) 80 ml (45 g) pumpkin seeds + extra for topping
- 3 3 large egglarge eggs
- ½ cup 120 ml unsweetened apple sauce
- ¼ cup 60 ml coconut oil
- 14 oz. 400 g pumpkin puree
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp coconut oil or butter for greasing the pan
- 4 4 eggeggs
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp butter for frying
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch 1 pinch chili flakes
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp butter
- 1 oz. (½ cup) 28 g (120 ml) leafy greens
- 3 oz. 85 g smoked salmon
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp fresh chives (optional)
Spicy pumpkin bread
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a bread pan, 8.5" (about 11 x 21 cm), with butter or oil.
- Mix together all dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Stir together egg, apple sauce, pumpkin puree, and oil in a separate bowl and mix into a smooth batter with the dry ingredients.
- Scoop the batter into the bread pan and sprinkle a tablespoon of pumpkin seeds on top.
- Bake on lower rack for 55–65 minutes. If a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, it’s done. You can also test for doneness by pressing lightly in the center of the loaf. If it feels firm then the bread is fully baked.
Building the sandwich
- Whisk together eggs and cream in a bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan on medium-high heat. Pour in the egg mixture and stir until blended and cooked through. Remove from heat.
- Add chili and mix. Use whatever you have at home already – tabasco, dried chili flakes, or fresh finely chopped chili.
- Toast two slices of the spicy low-carb pumpkin bread, or another low-carb bread.
- Apply a thick layer of butter.
- Put a few lettuce leaves and the scrambled eggs on top, then add the salmon and some finely chopped chives.