Low-carb Sloppy Joe’s
- 1¼ cups 300 ml (150 g) almond flour
- 5 tbsp 5 tbsp (40 g) ground psyllium husk powder
- 2 tsp 2 tsp (10 g) baking powder
- 1 tsp 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp 2 tsp cider vinegar
- 1¼ cups 300 ml boiling water
- 3 3 egg whiteegg whites
- sesame seeds (optional)
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1 yellow onionyellow onions
- 4 4 garlic clovegarlic cloves
- 20 oz. 600 g ground beef
- 4 tbsp 60 ml tomato paste
- 14 oz. 400 g crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp 2 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 8 tbsp 8 tbsp mayonnaise
- 51⁄3 oz. 150 g (325 ml) shredded cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the vinegar, boiling water, and egg whites to the bowl. Whisk the dough with a hand mixer for about 30 seconds. Don’t overmix it. (You want the consistency to resemble Play-Doh.)
- With moistened hands, form the dough into 4 or 8 pieces of bread.
- Bake on lower rack in oven for 50–60 minutes, depending on the size of your bread. They’re done when you hear a hollow sound when tapping the bottom of the bun.
- Sauté onion and garlic in a large frying pan over medium high until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the ground beef to the pan and increase the heat a little. Fry the meat thoroughly.
- Add the other ingredients and mix well.
- Let simmer for at least 15 minutes on low heat until most of the liquid is reduced.
- Taste and add more seasoning if needed.
- Serve in low-carb bread with a lot of shredded cheese and a dollop of mayonnaise.
Embrace your creativity! Sprinkle poppy or sesame seeds on the bread before baking. Or why not some salt flakes and herbs? You can also make hot dog or hamburger buns out of the dough.
Six pieces of this bread contain about 2 grams of carbs per bun.
Save those leftovers! The meat sauce can be kept in the fridge for up to three days, or in the freezer. And don’t get stuck in a rut. Feel free to use any kind of meat you want – beef, lamb, poultry or pork.