Low-carb Sloppy Joes
- 1¼ cups (5 oz.) 300 ml (140 g) almond flour
- 5 tbsp 5 tbsp ground psyllium husk powder
- 2 tsp 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp 2 tsp cider vinegar
- 1¼ cups 300 ml boiling water
- 3 3 egg whiteegg whites
- sesame seeds (optional)
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 (4 oz.) 1 (110 g) , chopped, chopped
- 4 4 garlic clove, mincedgarlic cloves, minced
- 1½ lbs 650 g ground beef or ground turkey
- 4 tbsp 4 tbsp
- 1½ cups (13 oz.) 350 ml (350 g) crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp 2 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the vinegar, boiling water, and egg whites to the bowl. Whisk the dough with a hand mixer for about 30 seconds. Don’t overmix it. (You want the consistency to resemble Play-Doh.)
- With moistened hands, form the dough into 4 or 8 pieces of bread.
- Bake on lower rack in oven for 50–60 minutes, depending on the size of your bread. They’re done when you hear a hollow sound when tapping the bottom of the bun.
- Sauté onion and garlic in a large frying pan over medium high until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the ground beef to the pan and increase the heat a little. Fry the meat thoroughly.
- Add the other ingredients and mix well.
- Let simmer for at least 15 minutes on low heat until most of the liquid is reduced.
- Taste and add more seasoning if needed.
- Serve in low-carb bread with a lot of shredded cheese and a dollop of mayonnaise.