Pancakes with savory cream cheese topping
Let’s talk about little pancakes packed full of flavor. These low carb stunners are loaded with creamy cheese and rich, salty pesto-y goodness. What more could you want?
- 8 oz. (1 cup) 230 g (240 ml) cream cheese or ricotta cheese
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp green pesto or red pesto
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ (2 oz.) ½ (55 g) red onion, thinly slicedred onions, thinly sliced
- sea salt
- ground black pepper
- 5 5 eggeggs
- 9 oz. (1¼ cups) 260 g (290 ml) cottage cheese
- 1 pinch 1 pinch salt
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp ground psyllium husk powder
- butter or coconut oil, for frying
This recipe has been added to the shopping list.
Making low carb simple
- Mix cream cheese, 1 tablespoon olive oil and pesto. Set aside.
- Mix eggs, cottage cheese, salt and psyllium husk powder with a hand blender into a smooth batter. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Heat a couple of tablespoons butter or olive oil in a large frying pan on medium heat. Put a few dollops of the cottage cheese batter, maximum 2–3 inches in diameter, in the pan and fry the pancakes for a few minutes on each side.
- Serve with a generous amount of cream cheese mixture and a few red onion slices. Top with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Drizzle the remaining olive oil on top.
If you don't have any pesto at home, you can add flavor to the cream cheese with other things, like finely chopped chives, fresh herbs or smoked fish roe.
My Sunday morning pancakes are 1c flaxseed flour, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp baking soda, 1tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt, added to 1c runny yogurt, 1egg and finally 1/2 tsp vanilla extract. These I fry in lots of butter and serve with whatever I have to hand. On cheat days real maple syrup does not disappoint.
You can feel free to use any of our other pancake recipes if you don't have the necessary ingredients for this one.