Low-carb Mexican-style zucchini
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ (2 oz.) ½ (55 g) , chopped, chopped
- 1 1 garlic clove, crushedgarlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1 fresh jalapeño, choppedfresh jalapeños, chopped
- 2 (8 oz.) 2 (230 g) tomato, choppedtomatoes, chopped
- 1½ lbs 650 g , cut into small cubes
- ½ tsp ½ tsp salt
- 1 pinch 1 pinch pepper
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup (7½ oz.) 240 ml (210 g) cottage cheese
- 2 2 poblano pepperpoblano peppers or , roasted and cut into strips, roasted and cut into strips
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat, in a frying pan.
- Add the onion and garlic and fry until they become translucent.
- Stir in the jalapeño and tomatoes. When the tomatoes become soft and start to fall apart, add the zucchini, salt, pepper, and oregano. Stir together and cook until the zucchini becomes tender.
- Before serving, decorate with the cottage cheese and strips of the poblano pepper.
Roasting Poblano peppers is easy!
Heat oven to 400°F (200°C).
Place the peppers on a greased baking sheet. Bake on the middle rack for 20-30 minutes, turning occasionally to char all sides, and then remove from oven.
Place the peppers in a covered bowl for 10 minutes to loosen the skin. Use a fork to pull the skin off, and then slice the pepper into thin strips. Done!
Add cubed ham pieces for another delicious take on this traditional Mexican dish. You can also substitute the cottage cheese for natural yogurt or full fat ricotta cheese if you prefer.