Kristie’s Southern summer tomato pie
- ¾ cup (3 oz.) 180 ml (85 g) almond flour
- 1⁄3 cup (1¼ oz.) 80 ml (35 g) oat fiber*
- 1¼ cups (3½ oz.) 300 ml (100 g) shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 1 eggeggs
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp butter or coconut oil
- 5 (1¼ lbs) 5 (550 g) large tomato, slicedlarge tomatoes, sliced
- 1⁄3 cup (2 oz.) 80 ml (55 g) finely slivered red onionfinely slivered red onions
- ½ cup 120 ml mayonnaise
- 1¼ cups (5 oz.) 300 ml (140 g) cheddar cheese, shredded
- Mix parmesan cheese, almond flour, oat fiber, egg, butter and salt. Press into a 9” (23 cm) pie plate, being sure to press the crust up the sides. When the crust is prepared, bake for 15 minutes at 350°F (175°C) and allow to cool.
- Place sliced tomatoes over the cooled crust. The slices should cover the crust and will be about two slices deep. Add onion slices. In a separate bowl, mix the mayonnaise and cheese together. Spread the mayonnaise mixture over the sliced tomatoes.
- Spread the mixture to the edges of the crust to "seal" the toppings. Sprinkle dried oregano and dried basil over the top. Bake at 350°F (175°C) for about 30 minutes. The topping will be browned and bubbly when done. Let set for at least 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy warm or cold!
For more flavor, feel free to sprinkle chopped, cooked bacon over the tomatoes before baking the pie.
* The oat fiber can be replaced with 2 tbls of coconut flour (1 pie).