Tomato in a pie? Yes please! This savory low-carb pie is best with fresh summer tomatoes from a Southern garden. If you can’t get Southern tomatoes, just get tomatoes! This is a savory pie that you will want to make. It’s delicious served with grilled meats.
- ¾ cup 175 ml almond flour
- 1⁄3 cup 75 ml oat fiber*
- 1 cup 225 ml shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 1 eggeggs
- ¼ teaspoon ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons 2 tablespoons butter or coconut oil
- 5 5 large tomato, peeled and slicedlarge tomatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄3 cup 75 ml finely slivered white onionfinely slivered white onions
- ½ cup 125 ml mayonnaise
- 1 cup 225 ml shredded cheese
- Mix parmesan cheese, almond flour, oat fiber, egg, butter and salt. Press into a 9” (23 cm) pie plate, being sure to press the crust up the sides. When the crust is prepared, bake for 15 minutes at 350°F (175°C) and allow to cool.
- Place sliced tomatoes over the cooled crust. The slices should cover the crust and will be about two slices deep. Add onion slices. In a separate bowl, mix the mayonnaise and cheese together. Spread the mayonnaise mixture over the sliced tomatoes.
- Spread the mixture to the edges of the crust to "seal" the toppings. Sprinkle dried oregano and dried basil over the top. Bake at 350°F (175°C) for about 30 minutes. The topping will be browned and bubbly when done. Let set for at least 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy warm or cold!
For more flavor, feel free to sprinkle chopped, cooked bacon over the tomatoes before baking the pie.
* The oat fiber can be replaced with 2 tbls of coconut flour (1 pie).