Keto lemon bars with shortbread crust
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F (180°C). Set aside an 8 x 8" (20 x 20 cm) baking dish lined with parchment paper, or a non-stick baking dish.
- Add the almond flour, erythritol, and salt to a food processor bowl, or a medium-sized bowl, and mix together. Pour in the melted butter, and mix until crumbly and combined.
- Press evenly into the bottom of the baking dish using your fingers or the backside of a measuring cup.
- Bake on the middle oven rack for about 15 minutes or until the edges are golden. As the crust bakes, prepare the lemon filling.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the eggs and erythritol. Add the melted butter, lemon juice and zest, vanilla, salt, and almond flour. Mix until smooth and combined.
- Pour the filling over the pre-baked crust and smooth the surface with a spatula if needed. Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until the filling has set, but is still soft. Set aside to cool.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. For serving, sift the powdered erythritol over the lemon filling, and slice into squares.
Leftovers keep fresh in the fridge in an airtight container for at least one week and in the freezer for a couple of months. Thaw at room temperature or in the fridge before serving.
Recommended special equipment
Baking dish 8 x 8" (20 x 20 cm)
Switch it up
You could replace the almond flour with hazelnut or any other nut flour in the crust and swap the lemon in the filling for lime.
Garnish with whipping cream and fresh berries.