Crispy Brussels sprout salad with lemon
- 1 lb 450 g Brussels sprouts
- ½ cup 120 ml olive oil
- 1 1 lemon, juice and zest
- salt and pepper
- 2⁄5 - ¾ cup 100 - 175 ml spicy almond & seed mix or your own choice of nuts and seeds
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
- 2 oz. 50 g almonds
- 1 oz. 30 g (50 ml) pumpkin seeds
- 1 oz. 30 g (50 ml) sunflower seeds
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground cumin or crushed fennel seeds
- 1 tsp 1 tsp chili paste
- 1 pinch 1 pinch salt
- Trim and rinse the Brussels sprouts. Coarsely shred in a food processor or with a sharp knife. Place in a salad bowl.
- Mix olive oil, lemon juice/zest and salt and pepper. Pour over the Brussels sprouts.
- Let marinate for 10 minutes. Then add the spicy almond & seed mix immediately prior to serving.
- This salad as a side dish to meat, fish or a simple omelet.
Spicy almond & seed mix
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the chili first.
- Add almonds and seeds. Stir thoroughly.
- Salt and sauté for a few minutes more, but pay close attention as almonds and seeds are very heat sensitive. The oil should be hot enough for the spice flavors to develop, but the almonds and seeds should not be burned.
- Let cool and sprinkle over the salad before serving.
For a shortcut, look for pre-shredded Brussels sprouts at your market.