Crispy Brussels sprout salad with lemon
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
- 2 oz. 50 g almonds
- 1 oz. 30 g (50 ml) pumpkin seeds
- 1 oz. 30 g (50 ml) sunflower seeds
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground cumin or crushed fennel seeds
- 1 tsp 1 tsp chili paste
- 1 pinch 1 pinch salt
- 1 lb 450 g Brussels sprouts
- ½ cup 125 ml olive oil
- 1 1 lemon, juice and zestlemons, juice and zest
- salt and pepper
Spicy almond and seed mix
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the chili first.
- Add almonds and seeds. Stir thoroughly.
- Salt and sauté for a few minutes more, but pay close attention as almonds and seeds are very heat sensitive. The oil should be hot enough for the spice flavors to develop, but the almonds and seeds should not be burned.
- Let cool and sprinkle over the salad before serving.
Brussels sprout salad
- Trim and rinse the Brussels sprouts. Coarsely shred in a food processor or with a sharp knife. Place in a salad bowl.
- Mix olive oil, lemon juice/zest and salt and pepper. Pour over the Brussels sprouts.
- Let marinate for 10 minutes. Then add the spicy almond and seed mix prior to serving.
- This salad as a side dish to meat, fish or a simple omelet.
For a shortcut, look for pre-shredded Brussels sprouts at your market.