Crispy Brussels sprout salad with lemon
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 tsp 1 tsp chili paste
- 2 oz. (61⁄3 tbsp) 55 g (90 ml) almonds
- 1 oz. (31⁄3 tbsp) 28 g (50 ml) pumpkin seeds
- 1 oz. (31⁄3 tbsp) 28 g (45 ml) sunflower seeds
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground cumin or crushed fennel seeds
- 1 pinch 1 pinch salt
- 1 lb 450 g Brussels sprouts
- ½ cup 120 ml olive oil
- 1 1 lemon, juice and zestlemons, juice and zest
- salt and pepper
Spicy almond and seed mix
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the chili paste.
- Add almonds and seeds. Stir thoroughly.
- Salt and sauté for a few minutes more, but pay close attention as almonds and seeds are very heat sensitive. The oil should be hot enough for the spice flavors to develop, but the almonds and seeds should not be burned.
- Let cool and sprinkle salt to taste.
- Trim and rinse the Brussels sprouts. Coarsely shred in a food processor or with a sharp knife. Place in a salad bowl.
- Mix olive oil, lemon juice/zest, and salt and pepper. Pour over the Brussels sprouts.
- Marinate for 10 minutes. Then add the spicy almond and seed mix prior to serving.
Brussels sprout salad
For a shortcut, look for pre-shredded Brussels sprouts at your market.