Fire up the grill – but first, make this tangy, real-food barbecue sauce! All of the familiar flavor with none of the added sugar. Make ahead, knowing a killer cookout is coming your way.
- 3 tablespoons 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ ½ grated or finely chopped yellow oniongrated or finely chopped yellow onions
- 1 tablespoon 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 14 oz. 400 g canned whole tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons 2 teaspoons salt
- Carefully heat the oil in a heavy saucepan. Stir in the tomato paste. Add the onion and fry until soft and glossy over medium heat.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of water and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Grind the spices and add them to the saucepan together with the tomatoes and the vinegar. Add salt.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat and let simmer for another 15-20 minutes. Mix, using an immersion blender, until smooth and let cool. If you want a thicker sauce let it simmer longer, until it reaches the desired consistency.
This BBQ sauce can be used as a marinade before you grill or bake in the oven. You can also enjoy it as a condiment. A couple of tablespoons mixed with mayonnaise makes an easy, tasty dressing for burgers and other barbecue favorites.