Sugar-free BBQ sauce
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp
- ½ (2 oz.) ½ (55 g) grated or finely chopped grated or finely chopped
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 14 oz. (12⁄3 cups) 400 g (400 ml) canned whole tomatoes
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tsp 2 tsp salt
- Carefully heat the oil in a heavy saucepan. Stir in the tomato paste. Add the onion and fry until soft and glossy over medium heat.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of water and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Grind the spices and add them to the saucepan together with the tomatoes and the vinegar. Add salt.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat and let simmer for another 15-20 minutes. Mix, using an immersion blender, until smooth and let cool. If you want a thicker sauce let it simmer longer, until it reaches the desired consistency.
This BBQ sauce can be used as a marinade before you grill or bake in the oven. You can also enjoy it as a condiment. A couple of tablespoons mixed with mayonnaise makes an easy, tasty dressing for burgers and other barbecue favorites.