Vegan kale and spinach soup
Is it possible to combine a vegan and low-carb life style? In the long run that isn't something we recommend due to the difficulty of getting enough nutrients, like protein and B12. For single meals it works great though, as in this lovely green soup.
- 3 oz. 90 g coconut oil
- 8 oz. 225 g kale
- 8 oz. 225 g fresh spinach
- 2 2 avocadoavocados
- 31⁄3 cups 800 ml coconut milk or coconut cream
- 1 cup 240 ml water
- fresh mint or dried mint (optional)
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 1 lime, the juicelimes, the juice
- 3 oz. 90 g kale
- 2 2 garlic clove, choppedgarlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄6 oz. 30 g coconut oil
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground cardamom (green)
- salt and pepper
- Melt the coconut oil in a hot thick-bottomed pot or pan.
- Sauté the spinach and kale briefly. The vegetable should just shrink and get a little color, but no more. Remove from the heat.
- Add water, coconut milk, avocado and spices. Blend with a hand blender until creamy.
- Add lime juice. Add more spices if you want.
- Fry kale and garlic on high heat until the garlic turns golden. Garnish the soup and serve.
If you don't like coconut milk you can of course make this soup with heavy cream or full-fat sour cream. And butter instead of coconut oil. The soup will then be vegetarian, not vegan!