Swedish low carb cheesecake with strawberry jam
- 3 3 large egglarge eggs
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp erythritol
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp bitter almond extract (optional)
- 8 oz. (1 cup) 230 g (260 ml) cottage cheese
- 5 oz. (2⁄3 cup) 140 g (150 ml) cream cheese
- ¼ cup (1¼ oz.) 60 ml (35 g) almonds, chopped
- 4 oz. 110 g frozen strawberries, thawed
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp erythritol
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, erythritol, and bitter almond extract (if you're using it).
- Add the cottage cheese, cream cheese, and 2/3 of the chopped almonds to the bowl and whisk until combined.
- Pour into one big baking dish, about 8” x 8” (20 x 20 cm), or individual ramekins. Sprinkle the rest of the almonds on top. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned and set, and the center is slightly jiggly. Set aside to cool for about 15 minutes, or until lukewarm.
- Place the strawberries and sweetener in a small bowl. Using a fork, mash together until desired consistency.
- Enjoy the cheesecake warm or cold together with the sugar-free jam.
Sugar-free strawberry jam
In Sweden, you usually serve the "ostkaka" with whipped cream. It's also common in the Southern part of Sweden to add some saffron to the batter, which gives it a beautiful golden color and amazing flavor.
The cheesecake also tastes great with any type of fresh berries.
Bitter almonds add the characteristic flavor of the classic version of the Swedish "ostkaka". It could be tricky to find it in some parts of the world.
Regular almond extract works as a substitute. You can also substitute for vanilla extract if you don't prefer the almond flavor.
The cottage cheese is an important element to this recipe and it has not been tested with substitutions. It isn't like traditional, American cheesecakes. Ostkaka, a Swedish version of cheesecake is less sweet and is known to be milk curd-based (dating back to the 16th century!), and today, most use cottage cheese for this recipe. If you'd like something without cottage cheese, you may be interested in ur other cheesecake recipes that use sour cream and/or cream cheese. Here is one: https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/no-bake-keto-cheesecake-with-toppings
Thank you for your feedback, I'm glad you're enjoying this new recipe!
Thanks for the suggestion! I will pass it along to our team.
Yes, you can use the sweetener of your choice.
This morning I had a piece cold and added the Strawberry Jam again and I like it cold as well. I like the crunch of almonds and the texture of the curds. I will make this again because it makes a great satisfying breakfast!
Thank you for letting us know how much you enjoyed this recipe!