Sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil
- 51⁄3 oz. (2¾ cups) 150 g (650 ml) sun-dried tomatosun-dried tomatoes
- ¾ cup 180 ml olive oil
- 2 2 sliced garlic clovesliced garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp white vinegar 5%
- fresh thyme
- Most cooks start with store-bought, good quality sun-dried tomatoes. Of course, if you have a dehydrator, or patience and a low-temperature oven, you may begin with fresh tomatoes.
- Layer tomatoes, along with a few sprigs of fresh thyme and thinly sliced garlic, in a clean glass jar.
- Add a splash of vinegar and add olive oil.
- Leave at room temperature to soften for a couple of hours. These marinated tomatoes can be stored in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Make a few extra jars to give away to friends and family; marinated tomatoes make a thoughtful, personalized hostess gift. When the tomatoes are eaten, the oil can be used for cooking or dressing a salad. For a longer shelf life, swap the fresh garlic for dehydrated garlic.