Zucchini and mozzarella casserole
This layered vegetable bake is perfect as a side dish or as a meat-free lunch. Tender slices of vegetables are bathed in a cheesy sauce. Enjoy!
- 5 oz. (2⁄3 cup) 140 g (150 ml) cream cheese
- ¼ cup 60 ml heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp ½ tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 14 oz. 400 g zucchini, cut into slices
- 1 (4 oz.) 1 (110 g) red onion, sliced thinlyred onions, sliced thinly
- 3 oz. (9 tbsp) 85 g (140 ml) green bell pepper, sliced thinlygreen bell peppers, sliced thinly
- 1½ cups (6 oz.) 350 ml (170 g) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp butter, for greasing pan
This recipe has been added to the shopping list.
Making low carb simple
- Pre-heat oven to 325°F (170°C).
- Grease an 8 x 8" (20 x 20 cm) casserole dish with the butter.
- Add the cream cheese, cream, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to a small saucepan, over medium heat until it is melted and well combined.
- Thinly slice the zucchini, red onion, and green bell pepper, and place into three separate bowls.
- Set aside a handfull of the mozzarella into a small bowl.
- In the baking dish, place repeating layers of zucchini, red onion, green bell pepper, and mozzarella.
- Spread the cheese sauce over the vegetables, and then add the remaining cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
Thank you for your feedback. If the onions aren't tender enough, you may consider sauteeing them prior to baking.
Great tips, thank you for sharing!
Definitely a ‘keeper’ 😋
Used cheddar cheese as no mozzarella.
Cooked for approx 15 minutes extra, placed tin foil over top after 35 minutes to stop any burning.
Thank you for your feedback. I will let our team know!