Low-carb cream of pumpkin soup
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp butter
- 1 1 white onion, choppedwhite onions, chopped
- 4 oz. 110 g , chopped, chopped
- 30 oz. 850 g pumpkin, cubedpumpkins, cubed
- 6 cups 1.5 liters water
- 2½ tsp 2½ tsp salt
- ½ cup 125 ml
- 1 tsp 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp
- 2 tsp 2 tsp , chopped (optional)
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the white onion and sauté until it becomes translucent, and then stir in the scallions, frying lightly.
- Add the pumpkin and the water to the pot. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to medium-low, simmering uncovered for 20 minutes.
- When the pumpkin becomes soft, use an immersion blender, or transfer the mixture to a food processor and blend, until smooth.
- Return the mixture to the pot and stir in the salt and cream. Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat, and add the grated ginger and orange zest.
- Serve piping hot and garnish with cilantro leaves (optional).
When you cut up the pumpkin, save the seeds: you can use them to make a delicious, crunchy snack! Simply fry them in a frying pan with just a tiny bit of olive oil. Add salt and paprika, step back, and watch how much they are enjoyed by all (don't forget to have some yourself, too!).
Shake it up: this recipe also works great with other vegetables in the squash family, so feel free to experiment!