Lebanese garlic cream (toum)
- 2 2 garlic clovegarlic cloves
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp ½ tsp salt
- 2 2 egg whiteegg whites
- 1 cup 225 ml light olive oil
- ½ tsp ½ tsp sumac (optional)
- Add crushed garlic, lemon juice, salt and egg whites to a high and narrow mixing bowl or beaker.
- Use an immersion blender to mix thoroughly until white and fluffy — it takes about 1 minute.
- Pour the oil in a thin stream while you keep mixing. The garlic cream is ready when it's thick, white and fluffy. Top with some sumac or chili powder.
You can prepare the sauce ahead and store in the refrigerator for at least 4 days. It's the perfect companion to any grilled dish — for example our fantastic keto shish kebab — or a dairy-free alternative to garlic butter.
The sauce also works perfectly fine without eggs. The egg white makes it fluffier but if you don't tolerate eggs or you're vegan, it can be a fantastic alternative to aioli.