Keto Argentine cookie and caramel sandwiches (Alfajores)
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sweetener until smooth.
- Add in the vanilla and salt and beat to combine.
- Add in the almond flour and mix until well incorporated then use a spatula to smooth it out.
- Transfer the dough to a piece of parchment paper and roll into a log.
- Wrap it up and let cool in the fridge to harden for one hour. In the meantime, let's prepare the caramel!
- In a small sauce pot or skillet on medium heat melt the butter or ghee until browned.
- Add in cream and sweetener and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium low and stir occasionally until the sweetener is dissolved and the liquid is thick and sticky and easily coats a spoon inserted in the mix.
- Remove from the heat and transfer it to a jar and let it cool at room temperature.
- Stir it as it cool every few minutes to make sure it does not separate.
- If your caramel does not thicken enough to spread on the cookies, mix in the nut butter!
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Cut ¼ inch thick rounds of dough and lay each slice carefully on the sheet pan, using your fingers to shape the cookie to an even round shape with smooth edges. Make 12 cookies, you need an even number for the sandwiches.
- Leave 1-2 inches (3-5 cm) between them and bake for 15 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool before transferring to a wire rack.
- When the cookies are room temperature, turn them over.
- Add a heaping tablespoon of caramel to every other cookie, then top the sandwich, gently pressing down until the spread reaches the edges.
For the caramel, Cristina recommends Brown Sugar Swerve or Lakanto Golden for a good color.
If you’re using coconut milk the caramel will take longer to thicken. Make sure not to rush the caramel or the erythritol will crystalize and it will be chunky.
Store in an air right container in the fridge and let come to room temp to enjoy.