- 1 lb 450 g unsalted butter
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat. Don't stir.
- Reduce heat and let the melted butter simmer for an hour or until a firm "foam" forms on the surface.
- Remove the foam with a slotted spoon. On the bottom, you'll now see white milk protein, which you want to leave behind in the pan or filter out of your ghee.
- Carefully pour the clarified butter through a filter; you can use cheese cloth or coffee filter. The white milk protein should remain in the filter, while the clear butterfat seeps through.
- Repeat the filtering a couple of times for optimal results.
- Let the ghee cool in a glass jar and store at room temperature.