Vegetarian low carb quiche
- 2 oz. 55 g butter, softened or coconut oil
- 1¼ cups (5 oz.) 300 ml (140 g) almond flour
- ½ cup (2½ oz.) 120 ml (75 g) sesame seeds
- 1 1 eggeggs
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp ground psyllium husk powder
- 1 pinch 1 pinch salt
- 9 oz. 260 g kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- 3½ oz. 100 g leek, finely choppedleeks, finely chopped
- 5 oz. (1 cup) 140 g (220 ml) feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 3 eggeggs
- 1¼ cups 300 ml
- 3½ oz. (1 cup) 100 g (240 ml) walnuts, chopped
- 1 tsp 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 4 oz. (1 cup) 110 g (240 ml) sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together almond flour, sesame seeds, psyllium husk, and salt. Add the egg and softened butter or coconut oil. Mix with an electric mixer.
- Press the dough into a greased springform pan 10" (25–27 cm), up along the sides too. Use a spatula or well-greased fingers. Use your thumb to make it to an even dough.
- Let the pie crust rest in the fridge for 30 minutes. Prick the bottom of the crust with a fork. Pre-heat the oven to 392°F (200°C).
- Pre-bake the crust for 5 minutes. Let cool while you prepare the filling.
- Parboil the kale and leeks in salted boiling water for a few minutes. Let it steam off in a strainer.
- In a big bowl, mix feta cheese with eggs and cream. Stir in the chopped walnuts, parboiled kale and leeks. Season with salt, pepper and chili flakes.
- Pour the batter into the pre-baked pie crust and top with the sun-dried tomatoes.
- Bake on the middle rack for 30 minutes. Let cool before serving.
Recommended special equipment
Electric mixer, springform pan 10" (25-27 cm), strainer