Vegetarian low-carb quiche
- 2 oz. 55 g butter, softened or coconut oil
- 1¼ cups (5 oz.) 300 ml (140 g) almond flour
- ½ cup (2½ oz.) 120 ml (75 g) sesame seeds
- 1 1 eggeggs
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp ground psyllium husk powder
- 1 pinch 1 pinch salt
- 9 oz. 260 g kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- 3½ oz. 100 g leek, finely choppedleeks, finely chopped
- 5 oz. 140 g feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 3 eggeggs
- 1¼ cups 300 ml
- 3½ oz. (1 cup) 100 g (240 ml) walnuts, chopped
- 1 tsp 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 4 oz. (1 cup) 110 g (240 ml) sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together almond flour, sesame seeds, psyllium husk, and salt. Add the egg and dices of butter or coconut oil. Mix with an electric mixer.
- Press the dough into a greased springform pan 10" (25–27 cm), up along the sides too. Use a spatula or well-greased fingers. Use your thumb to make it to an even dough.
- Let the pie crust rest in the fridge for 30 minutes. Prick the bottom of the crust with a fork. Pre-heat the oven to 392°F (200°C).
- Pre-bake the crust for 5 minutes. Let cool while you prepare the filling.
- Parboil the kale and leeks in salted boiling water for a few minutes. Let it steam off in a strainer.
- In a big bowl, mix feta cheese with eggs and cream. Stir in the chopped walnuts and season with salt, pepper and chili flakes.
- Pour the batter into the pre-baked pie crust and top with the sun-dried tomatoes.
- Bake on the middle rack for 30 minutes. Let cool before serving.
Feel free to leave out the walnuts for those with nut allergies.
Recommended special equipment
Electric mixer, springform pan 10" (25-27 cm), strainer