Vegetarian low carb quiche
The colorful red of sun-dried tomatoes combined with the green of kale and leeks makes this low carb quiche a festive, visual treat that will grace any seasonal breakfast or brunch table. But the taste? It's as good as it looks! Zesty feta and walnuts add to the sophisticated flavor making this low carb quiche in its almond flour crust a truly special holiday dish.
- 2 oz. 55 g butter, softened or coconut oil
- 1¼ cups (5 oz.) 300 ml (140 g) almond flour
- ½ cup (2½ oz.) 120 ml (75 g) sesame seeds
- 1 1 eggeggs
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp ground psyllium husk powder
- 1 pinch 1 pinch salt
- 9 oz. 260 g kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- 3½ oz. 100 g leek, finely choppedleeks, finely chopped
- 5 oz. (1 cup) 140 g (220 ml) feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 3 eggeggs
- 1¼ cups 300 ml heavy whipping cream
- 3½ oz. (1 cup) 100 g (240 ml) walnuts, chopped
- 1 tsp 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 4 oz. (1 cup) 110 g (240 ml) sun-dried tomatoes in oil
This recipe has been added to the shopping list.
Making low carb simple
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together almond flour, sesame seeds, psyllium husk, and salt. Add the egg and softened butter or coconut oil. Mix with an electric mixer.
- Press the dough into a greased springform pan 10" (25–27 cm), up along the sides too. Use a spatula or well-greased fingers. Use your thumb to make it to an even dough.
- Let the pie crust rest in the fridge for 30 minutes. Prick the bottom of the crust with a fork. Pre-heat the oven to 392°F (200°C).
- Pre-bake the crust for 5 minutes. Let cool while you prepare the filling.
- Parboil the kale and leeks in salted boiling water for a few minutes. Let it steam off in a strainer.
- In a big bowl, mix feta cheese with eggs and cream. Stir in the chopped walnuts, parboiled kale and leeks. Season with salt, pepper and chili flakes.
- Pour the batter into the pre-baked pie crust and top with the sun-dried tomatoes.
- Bake on the middle rack for 30 minutes. Let cool before serving.
Recommended special equipment
Electric mixer, springform pan 10" (25-27 cm), strainer
The crust was good and the flavor of the filling was also good, but dominated by the nuts and the kale.
Does anyone have suggestions for improvement?
Thanks for pointing out this oversight! Our recipe team will remove this tip.