Low-carb no bake egg-free flan
- 27 oz. 750 g unsweetened full fat
- 2 tsp 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 inch piece (2,5 cm) of lemon peel
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp (25 g) erythritol
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp (15 g) unflavored powdered gelatin (preferably pastured beef gelatin)
- sea salt
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp (40 g) erythritol
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp water
- turmeric, for color
- In a sauce pot over medium heat, bring the coconut milk to a simmer. Whisk in the vanilla, lemon peel, salt and erythritol until smooth and thick. Let simmer to reduce by a third. Whisk often.
- Sprinkle in the gelatin as you continue to whisk until it has completely dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In another sauce pot, on the same burner, heat the rest of the erythritol, water and turmeric. Stir constantly with a spoon. It will bubble and reduce. When it is syrup consistency remove from the heat and pour into ramekin. A ramekin that holds 4 cups would be ideal, it can be square or round. Swirl it all around the ramekin slowly. As it cools it will coat the whole thing evenly.
- Remove the lemon peel from the coconut milk and slowly pour it into the ramekin. Let it sit at room temperature for an hour, then set in the fridge for 3-4 hours until it has set completely.
- Run a knife all around the edge and flip over to unmold onto a plate. Let the syrup drizzle all over it. Serve, share, enjoy!
Storing the flan
To store, wrap lightly and store in the fridge up to a week.
The turmeric is optional, but it gives the syrup a caramel color. As erythritol does not brown like conventional sugar, the added color gives this dish a traditional hue without the actual sugar.