Low-carb no bake egg-free flan
- 27 oz. 750 g unsweetened full fat coconut milk
- 2 tsp 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 inch piece (2,5 cm) of lemon peel
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp (25 g) erythritol
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp (15 g) unflavored powdered gelatin (preferably pastured beef gelatin)
- sea salt
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp (35 g) erythritol
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp water
- turmeric, for color
- In a sauce pot over medium heat, bring the coconut milk to a simmer. Whisk in the vanilla, lemon peel, salt and erythritol until smooth and thick. Let simmer to reduce by a third. Whisk often.
- Sprinkle in the gelatin as you continue to whisk until it has completely dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In another sauce pot, on the same burner, heat the rest of the erythritol, water and turmeric. Stir constantly with a spoon. It will bubble and reduce. When it is syrup consistency remove from the heat and pour into ramekin. Swirl it all around the ramekin slowly. As it cools it will coat the whole thing evenly.
- Remove the lemon peel from the coconut milk and slowly pour it into the ramekin. Let it sit at room temperature for an hour, then set in the fridge for 3-4 hours until it has set completely.
- Run a knife all around the edge and flip over to unmold onto a plate. Let the syrup drizzle all over it. Serve, share, enjoy!
Storing the flan
To store, wrap lightly and store in the fridge up to a week.
The turmeric is optional, but it gives the syrup a caramel color. As erythritol does not brown like conventional sugar, the added color gives this dish a traditional hue without the actual sugar.