Low-carb vegetable soup with fennel and celery root
Creamy. So filling. This cozy low-carb vegetable soup is a delightful change of pace. Enjoy it plain or pair it with a protein—your choice!
- 2⁄3 lb 300 g fresh fennel
- ½ lb 225 g celery root
- 1 1 garlic clovegarlic cloves
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp 1 tsp coriander seed
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 3½ cups 850 ml water
- 1 1 vegetable bouillon cubevegetable bouillon cubes
- 5 oz. 150 g butter
- 1 1 lemon, juice
- salt and ground black pepper
- ¼ cup 60 ml fresh dill or fresh cilantro, chopped
- 10 oz. 275 g smoked salmon or cooked and peeled shrimp or fried halloumi cheese (optional)
- Rinse and trim all vegetables. Chop finely. The green part of the fennel should be included.
- Fry all vegetables in oil in a big pot over high heat for a few minutes. Add coriander seeds and nutmeg. Stir and fry for another minute. Add water and bouillon cube.
- Bring to a boil and lower the heat. Let simmer for about 10 minutes or until everything is soft. Add butter and lemon juice and stir.
- Remove from the heat and use an immersion blender to mix to desired consistency. Season to taste with more salt and pepper. Garnish with fresh dill.
- Serve the soup as it is or topped with optional additions like smoked salmon, cooked and peeled shrimp or fried cubes of halloumi cheese.
Try other real food toppings like sour cream, shredded parmesan, or toasted nuts or seeds.