Low-carb upma (Indian breakfast dish)
- 7 oz. 200 g cauliflower, cut into large florets
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp ghee or butter or olive oil
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 (4 oz.) 1 (110 g) red onion, choppedred onions, chopped
- 5 5 curry leafcurry leaves
- 2½ tsp 2½ tsp fresh ginger
- 1 1 green chili peppergreen chili peppers
- 2⁄3 oz. 19 g salted peanuts
- , for garnish
- Transfer the cauliflower to a food processor and pulse until completely broken down into couscous-sized pieces.
- Heat ghee in a wok or frying pan and add the mustard seeds and cumin.
- Once they start to sizzle add chopped onion, curry leaves, ginger, green chili pepper, and peanuts.
- Fry on low-medium heat until the onions get translucent. Salt to taste.
- Add the couscous-sized cauliflower, combine well and fry for a few minutes.
- Add some water so it almost covers the mixture. Cook for 10 minutes with the lid on.
- Keep checking and stirring every few minutes to ensure that nothing sticks to the bottom of the pan.
- Cook until the water evaporates. Finish by adding the fresh cilantro.