Low-carb peppermint mocha ice cream
- 2 cups 475 ml
- 2 oz. (7 tbsp) 55 g (100 ml) sugar-free dark chocolate, chopped
- 6 6 large egg yolklarge egg yolks
- 2⁄3 cup (3 oz.) 160 ml (85 g) powdered erythritol
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp instant coffee powder
- 2 tsp 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp ½ tsp salt
- 1 pinch 1 pinch food grade peppermint extract (1-2 drops to taste)
- 6 pinches 6 pinches liquid sweetener (drops)
- In a heavy saucepan over low heat, heat the heavy cream, stirring with a whisk.
- Add the chocolate and continue stirring until the chocolate has melted. Add the egg yolks. Continue whisking on low heat until just warmed.
- Add the powdered sweetener and the instant coffee powder and whisk until completely dissolved. Continue heating, whisking constantly, until the custard thickens, about 10 minutes.
- When the custard coats the back of a wooden spoon or reaches 140°F (60°C) on a candy thermometer, remove the pan from the heat. Do not allow the mixture to warm to over 140°F or the eggs will begin to cook.
- Stir in the vanilla extract, salt and peppermint. Taste and add the liquid sweetener. Place in the refrigerator to cool.
- When cool, churn the ice cream mixture in an ice cream maker following the manufacturer’s directions until it reaches your desired consistency.
Store leftovers in the freezer. When frozen, this ice cream will harden to a solid state if you use an erythritol based sweetener. Sweeteners such as xylitol or allulose keep the ice cream texture soft and easily scooped. If using an erythritol based sweetener, allow to thaw at room temperature for about 10 minutes before enjoying.
Three tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder can be used instead of the unsweetened chocolate. For best results, mix the cocoa powder with 2 tablespoons of water and blend before adding to the ice cream mixture.
If you are a bit intimidated by heating the mixture, or if you’re in a real hurry to get the ice cream churning, and you don’t mind the raw egg, you can skip heating the ice cream base. Just melt the chocolate and add it and the remaining ingredients to a blender. Mix well and follow your ice cream maker’s instructions.