Low-carb onion rings
- 1 1 large yellow onion sliced into ¼” rounds (vidalia, white or red)large yellow onions sliced into ¼” rounds (vidalia, white or red)
- 2 oz. 50 g (100 ml)
- 3 oz. 75 g parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 pinch 1 pinch salt to taste
- 1 tsp 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 pinch 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 2 2 eggeggs
- 1 cup 225 ml coconut oil, refined if you don't love the coconut flavor
- salt to taste
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pan, over medium low heat.
- While the oil heats, whisk the eggs together with 1/3 oz. (about 1.5 tbl) coconut flour and a pinch of salt. Whisk until the ingredients are blended.
- Combine the rest of the dry ingredients in another medium sized bowl.
- Using a fork, completely coat each onion ring with the beaten egg, and then lift and drop the coated onion ring into the flour mixture. Spoon the flour mix over the entire ring, and gently move the rings to a plate.
- Add some rings to the pan, leaving space in between each ring. Fry for about 3-4 minutes per side, until golden brown, and then remove to a plate lined with paper towels to cool. Continue this process until done, and then salt to taste.
Using a fork, versus tongs or a spatula is an easy and gentle way to flip the onion ring without disrupting the coating.
You can fry in tallow, or other fat with a high heat point if you don't like coconut oil.
The batter may be quite thick and stiff, so thin it with either cream or water to a pancake-like batter consistency. Then dip the onion rings in this, placing gently into the low-moderate heated oil.