Low-carb molten chocolate lava cake
- 2¾ oz. 80 g dark chocolate with a minimum of 80% cocoa solids
- 2¾ oz. 80 g butter
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 3 3 eggeggs
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp butter, for greasing the ramekins
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and grease 6 small (approximately 3" or 7 cm diameter) ramekins with butter.
- Divide or chop the chocolate into smaller pieces. Put in a saucepan or the top of a double boiler. Add butter and melt together carefully.
- Add vanilla and stir until smooth. Turn off the heat and set it aside. Allow the chocolate to cool, but not too much; keep it from getting firm.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until fluffy and it has tripled in size — about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the chocolate batter. Mix gently with a whisk to combine, until the batter is smooth, but ensure the mixture doesn't collapse too much.
- Pour the batter into the greased ramekins and place in the oven. Immediately lower the heat to 350°F (175°C).
- Set your timer for 7-9 minutes. The lava cake is done just as the surface begins to crack.
- Remove from the oven and serve lukewarm. A dollop of whipped cream or sour cream adds a delicious finishing touch.
These cakes will continue to bake in the ramekins after you remove them from the oven. Keep the lava flowing by pulling them out a little early.