Low carb mock zucchini apple pie filling
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp butter
- 7 oz. 200 g , peeled and chopped
- ½ cup 120 ml water
- 2 oz. 55 g unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp erythritol
- 1½ tsp 1½ tsp apple pie spice
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 tsp 1⁄8 tsp salt
- 1¾ oz. 50 g pecans or walnuts
- 1 tsp 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Use a 1-quart saucepan to melt the butter on medium heat. Add the zucchini and stir until coated with butter.
- Add the water, applesauce, sweetener, and spices and simmer for 15-20 minutes on low heat until the zucchini is tender and the mixture creates a thick sauce.
- Remove from heat and stir in the nuts and vanilla.
Serve with a dollop of freshly whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Roast the pecans before adding them to the zucchini mixture for an even warmer flavor.
Apple pie spice is sold as a premade mix, but you can also create your own blend by experimenting with different amounts of your favorite fall spices. Traditional apple pie spice is made with warm ground spices, including cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and cardamom.