Crustless low-carb pumpkin pie
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp butter, for greasing the baking dish
- 4 tbsp 4 tbsp unsweetened finely shredded coconut
- 1 lb 450 g (about 1 cup puree) pumpkin(about 1 cup puree) pumpkins
- 2⁄3 cup 160 ml
- 1 oz. 28 g butter
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp (optional)
- ¼ ¼ lemon, only the zestlemons, only the zest
- 1 tsp 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 3 eggeggs
- 1½ cups 350 ml , for serving
- Place the pumpkin puree in a saucepan. Add whipping cream, butter and salt and bring to a simmer over low heat.
- Lower the heat and let simmer until the mixture is thick and creamy, about 10–15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except for the eggs, and whip to a smooth mixture using a whisk.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl with a hand mixer for 2–3 minutes. Add the pumpkin mixture and mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Grease a 9" baking dish with butter and apply the shredded coconut evenly across the bottom of the dish.
- Pour the batter into the baking dish and bake for about 25-30 minutes or until set in the middle.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped heavy cream.
The pie will taste its best if you use fresh pumpkin instead of readymade pumpkin purée which contains less carbohydrates, but won't give the pie its natural sweetness. You want all the pumpkin goodness in this fantastic pie – skip the can! (If possible.)
If you prefer a dairy-free pie, just substitute butter and cream for coconut oil and coconut cream.