Keto ice-cream sandwiches
- 1½ cups 350 ml
- 1 cup 240 ml unsweetened almond milk
- 5 5 large egg yolkslarge eggs yolks
- ½ cup (3¾ oz.) 120 ml (110 g) xylitol
- 2 tsp 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup (4 oz.) 240 ml (110 g) almond flour
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp cream of tartar or lemon juice (optional)
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp salt
- 1⁄3 cup (2½ oz.) 80 ml (70 g) erythritol
- 2½ oz. 70 g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1 large egglarge eggs
- 1 tsp 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 oz. 28 g pecans, chopped
- 1 oz. (31⁄3 tbsp) 28 g (50 ml) sugar-free baking chocolate chips
InstructionsThis recipe requires about 5 hours of cooling and freezing.
Vanilla ice cream
- In a heavy saucepan, heat the cream and almond milk on low heat, stirring with a wire whisk. Add the egg yolks and whip until just frothy.
- Continue whisking on low heat until the mixture reaches a temperature of 140°F (60°C) or until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Add the sweetener to the cream mixture and whisk until well dissolved. Add the vanilla and salt. Remove from heat and let cool in the fridge. While the ice cream mixture cools, make the cookie dough.
- Take the ice cream mixture from the fridge and add it to your ice cream maker. Follow the manufacturer’s directions. If you don't have an ice-cream maker, put it in a freezer-safe container and put it in the freezer. Stir it regularly until it freezes.
Chocolate chip cookies with pecans
- In a small bowl, whisk together the almond flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt. Set aside.
- Add the granulated sweetener and melted butter to a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, combine together on low speed. Mix in the egg and vanilla until combined. Add the dry ingredients and mix together over medium speed. Stir in the chocolate chips and pecans, until blended together.
- Place the cookie dough in the center of a 12"x9" (30 x 23 cm) sheet of plastic wrap or parchment paper. Shape the dough into a log about 1 ½"-2" in diameter (3.8-5 cm) and 10" (25 cm) long. Wrap the plastic wrap around the dough and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the dough into 12 equal slices and place on the baking sheet, about ½" (1 cm) apart. Gently press down on each slice to slightly flatten. Bake for 8-10 minutes on the middle rack, until the edges are golden and the cookie has slightly spread.
- Set aside to cool on the baking sheet for at least 15 minutes, or until completely cool to touch. As the cookies cool, they will become firm and ready to be enjoyed!
- Turn half of the cookies upside down. Evenly distribute the ice cream on the cookies. Top the ice cream with a cookie and press down gently. Put them in an airtight container and freeze for 2 hours or until solid and serve.
Xylitol or allulose gives the ice cream a creamier consistency. Erythritol makes the ice cream very hard; however, if you use erythritol, simply wait 5-7 minutes to serve the ice cream after removing it from the freezer. Remember, however, that xylitol is poisonous to dogs. Don't let them lick or taste any of the ice cream mixture.
If you are using pasteurized eggs, the ice cream mixture does not need to be heated and can instead be combined all together in a blender.