Keto chicken saagwala
Saag chicken is a popular Indian curry. Marinated chicken is cooked and then simmered in a rich spinach gravy, finished with cream for a lush and robust dish. Flavorful and nutritious, it’s a great way to fill up with greens.
- 1 lb 450 g boneless chicken thighs
- ½ tsp ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp ½ tsp coriander seed, powdered
- ½ tsp ½ tsp garam masala seasoning
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp ghee
- ¾ lb (11 cups) 325 g (2.5 liters) fresh spinach
- ½ (2 oz.) ½ (55 g) red onionred onions
- ¼ lb (2⁄3 cup) 110 g (150 ml) tomatotomatoes
- 1¾ tsp 1¾ tsp ginger garlic paste
- ¼ cup 60 ml heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp ghee
This recipe has been added to the shopping list.
Making low carb simple
- Combine chicken with spices, ghee and some salt. Marinate for at least 20 minutes.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the spinach and submerge the leaves in the water. Blanch for 30-40 seconds, then drain and rinse with cold water. Add to a blender and blend until you get a smooth puree.
- Chop the red onion and tomato roughly and blend to a smooth puree.
- In a frying pan, heat the ghee and fry the marinated chicken until it turns a nice golden color, for about 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the onion and tomato puree and ginger garlic paste. Rinse out the blender with a tablespoon of water so nothing goes to waste. Combine well.
- Cover with a lid and cook on low heat for about 5-7 minutes. Add spinach puree and salt to taste.
- Cover and cook for another 6-8 minutes until it gets a nice thick consistency.
- Stir in the cream and add the chicken pieces together with the cooking juices.
- Cook for another 4-5 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and nicely covered in the sauce. Add an extra tablespoon of cream on top for garnish.
This is great for meal prep and you can pair it with cauliflower rice or Keto naan.
Yes, we have recipes using paneer!
I have a question, can I use frozen spinach? If yes would the quantity or method of cooking be different?
Frozen tends to have much different texture and more liquid. We have not tested this recipe with frozen spinach.
Yes, this should freeze well.
Hi, Deb! It's certainly fine to swap the thighs for chicken breasts! You should be able to cook them following the same directions.
pair it with lo carb Naan or Cauliflower rice mmm mmm mmm!!!
Thanks 'Sahil, Thanks Diet Doctor
Awesome! Thanks for sharing!