Kale casserole with mushrooms and cheddar
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp butter, for greasing (optional)
- 2 2 large egglarge eggs
- ¾ cup 180 ml
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp butter
- 2 2 garlic clove, mincedgarlic cloves, minced
- 8 oz. 230 g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 8 oz. 230 g kale, trimmed and shredded
- 8 oz. (1 cup) 230 g (240 ml) cream cheese, at room temperature (see tip)
- 2 cups (8 oz.) 475 ml (230 g) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F (190°C). Set aside a lightly greased, 9" x 9" (23 x 23 cm) baking dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, and heavy whipping cream. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan, over medium heat. Add the garlic, mushrooms, salt, and pepper, and sautée for a couple of minutes. Increase temperature to medium-high. Add the kale in batches, and toss to together for 5 minutes, or until tender. Turn off the heat.
- Combine the cream cheese with the fried vegetables, in the hot pan. Add the egg mixture, with half of the shredded cheddar cheese, and stir all together until evenly combined.
- Pour the casserole mixture into the baking dish, and sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese on top. Bake on the middle rack for about 20 - 25 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned and the middle is set.
- Set aside to cool for 10 minutes, prior to serving.
To quickly bring the cream cheese to room temperature, cut into 1" (2.5 cm) squares, separate, and rest on the countertop for 10 minutes. Alternatively, place the whole cream cheese block on the countertop, and rest for 60 minutes.